Motivating your team for the year ahead
As a leader, you’ll have returned from the festive break hoping that your teams have enjoyed a fun and rejuvenating festive break.
Now you’re going to need all of their energy and creativity for a whole new set of business goals for the year ahead.
So how can you ensure your team’s continued motivation towards success in 2024?
- Be the person you want your team members to be at each and every meeting. It’s often underestimated how much the way a leader ‘shows up’ can have on the focus and energy levels of their team members.
- Establish acceptable patterns of behaviour that your team members will follow
- Uncover the values of your individual team members and seek to align these for the team.
- Listen effectively and consult with your team; ensure they feel valued from Week 1 of the New Year.
- Be flexible over working arrangements; cultivate feelings of choice and control in team members over their work.
- Move them out of the comfort zone; setting goals which stretch and challenge team members will be more stimulating and rewarding, resulting in the confidence and motivation to do more in this ‘learning’ zone.
- Ensure the focus is on what you all want to achieve (not what you don’t want to happen) and your team will move towards that focus.
- Consistently link every action, however small that your team takes, to those big goals and make it clear how each achievement is taking them closer to that goal.
- Try it first – as leader, experiment and take risks – whether you succeed or fail, show that either is ok. Others will feel safe to voice their ideas, to get creative and potentially contribute to desired business innovation.
- Provide opportunity to bond and socialise.
- Celebrate team success – both in the office and where possible, outside work.
- Give timely recognition and reward.
We all have differing drivers and values. However effective leaders realise that taking a certain approach to leadership will universally contribute to team member satisfaction and motivation to consistently perform well.
If you’d like to learn more about how to motivate teams for success, please click here to hear about our leadership courses. Alternatively, if you or a team member would like the support of a Coach to help uncover your drivers and enhance your performance, please click here to book a Discovery Call.